Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Animal & Veterinary Sciences » Marine Biology » studying deep sea organisms

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

studying deep sea organisms

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

nix-j-c
England

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by nix-j-c
on 1/26/2011 6:07 AM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I'm 17 (so you get an idea of the level i'm at) and have to write a 3000 word report, and i have chosen about the difficulties of studying deep sea organisms.

I'll write about how observing them with submarines isn't effective as the noise and lights are distracting, but how we can use technology to take samples and analyse it to find out more about the creatures. (we also have to go on about the economical etc impacts of the methods)

So far i've only found the nanodrop machines and am investigating if they're used (I've emailed the company and posted on here specifically about it). But can anyone else point me in the right direction about other analytical methods possibly of  DNA, and what kidn of data scientists recieve from the experiemnts and what they can deduce from them?

Thanks, nix :)

Replies
abhishek
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By abhishek
on 1/27/2011 3:14 AM   

Please read article from Lymin, Siegel and Russian workers they have done good work on marine animals mostly electrophysiological recordings.

nix-j-c
England

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By nix-j-c
on 1/27/2011 10:12 AM   

Thanks.

wln02252015
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By wln02252015
on 2/25/2015 13:30 PM   

Hi Nix!  Other than nanodrop technology, you can also do things like PCR on samples to look at large genetic arrays, and also DNA analysis by gel electrophoresis.  With PCR, you can uncover difference in genetics that might give insight into differences between species that live in the harsh, deep sea environment vs. those that live in the more moderate ocean environment.  With gel electrophoresis, it is possible to uncover genetic differences that arise between species by using enzymes that clip the DNA at certain sequences.  This will result in shorter fragments that will appear on the gel if that sequence was present.  If not, the fragments will be larger and thus you can distinguish between species.

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.

Click here to
Become a member & join our
community (It's easy & free)
Already a member? Please log in
User Name  
Password  
Forget Password?
Scientists
Not finding the answer you need?

Post a new topic

You must be logged in to post. Log in above.
Not a member yet? Click here to register
(it's free)
Thank You to Our Sponsor