Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Home » Forums » Genomics » DNA Sequencing » sequencing

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

sequencing

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

srujana
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by srujana
on 7/12/2012 22:16 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

I have designed primers that bind to conserved regions,so that variable regions inbetween the conserved regions get amplified.
My main aim is to detect the microbial diversity in a given sample by amplifying the variable regions of different microbes.
I used to amplify variable regions and get a 340 bp product and with this product i used to clone it by topo vector and later on used to sequence each single clone by sanger sequencing and the sequences were very fine.
But when i gave the 340 bp PCR product directly for sanger sequencing there was presence of muliple peaks.so iam stuck here.Why my sequencing is not working.what is the problem? i  give exosap treatment before sequencing.some one please help me out what went wrong in my experiment or is it not possible to get sequences of variable region amplicon?
please help me out with your valuable suggestion

srujana

Replies
hcheung
Canada

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By hcheung
on 7/13/2012 7:05 AM   

Hi Srujana,

What sequencing primer did you use for sequencing the clones in the top vector?
What sequencing primer are you using to sequence the 340 bp PCR product directly?

DougB
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By DougB
on 7/13/2012 8:03 AM   

Hi Srujana,

There could be a number of possibilities for double sequence in the PCR products. Since this has been your stopping point in the experiment, can I assume that the products have not been cloned into a vector? I know you said that you have been successul with Sanger sequencing on previous samples. However, you did not say these problematic products were cloned and sequenced.

Starting with the more obvious cause, you might be amplifying multiple products. It is also important to note that multiple products of similar length may not separate by agarose gel electrophoresis and therefore cannot be seen.

Another possibility is that the exosap may not be working. Do you have any control sample that will allow you to test the exosap. In this case both PCR primers would be present in the product. and amplify in the Sanger reaction.

It is also possible that the conserved region is not actually conserved.

I have also seen cases where one of the PCR primers (or both) may have multiple sequences. It would only require that some of the primer in the mix misses one base. Amplification of multiple products would produce double sequence where one sequence was different than the second sequence by one base. This would depend on whether this pair of primers had been used before.

This is a couple of possibilities. I will let you know if I can think of others.

DougB

srujana
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By srujana
on 7/15/2012 21:07 PM   

hello DougB,
I have sorted out the problem.
As there were multiple variable regions that were getting amplified.i have got multiple peaks in sequencing.
Iam going to clone the pcr product and give it for sequencing.
Thank you
srujana

srujana
India

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By srujana
on 7/15/2012 21:13 PM   

hi hcheung,
i havent cloned the pcr product.i will be doing it know to sort out my problem.
thank you
srujana

diannagellar
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By diannagellar
on 9/14/2016 3:46 AM   

Did you use the 16s rDNA Sequencing for your project, or what kind of sequencing?

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.