Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute - Biological Sciences
||£17,882 to £22,352
||6th February 2015
||20th February 2015
A market supplement of £3,000 per annum (non -pensionable) may also be available; this is dependent on skills and experience. This is offered in recognition of the current market value of certain skills and technologies and will therefore be subject to review.
Fixed Term Contract - 18 months
We are looking for an Animal Technician to provide husbandry and welfare care for the animals housed within the Research Support Facility (RSF). This state of the art facility provides a dedicated animal barrier and containment facility giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in genetics research
Working as part of a dedicated team providing high standards of animal care and skilled assistance to our animal users, you will be responsible for routine animal husbandry;
- providing food and water for the animals and organising special diets if needed
- carrying out regular observations and health checks
- making sure that animals are clean, comfortable and behaving as expected
- keeping up high levels of hygiene for each animal
- controlling heating, lighting and humidity
- monitoring the weight and growth of animals
- maintaining high standards of cleanliness throughout the animal facility
- keeping accurate records and inputting data onto computer systems
You will also be responsible for the welfare of mice in breeding colonies and experimental groups using IVC technology. If you hold a current Home Office Personal Licence you may also be required to undertake routine regulated procedures.
Animals need care 24 hours a day, all year round. Our standard working week is 37 hours Monday to Friday however owing to the needs of the animals there will also be a requirement to participate in a weekend and public holiday rota (this will involve working approximately 1 weekend in 3) to ensure the RSF is maintained to a high standard at all times. Occasionally you may be required to work outside of normal hours. The work involves some manual lifting and much of the day is spent standing.
The RSF offers an internal career structure for Animal Technicians. The post holder will be expected to attend appropriate training to allow them to fully undertake their role.
- Institute of Animal Technology Certificate or equivalent
- Previous proven experience within an animal facility and some knowledge of breeding colony maintenance
- Awareness of A[SP]A
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to maintain clear and detailed records with a particular emphasis on accuracy
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Ability to work to SOPs
- Personal Home Office Licence owner modules 1-3 for rodents, fish and frogs
- Familiarity with individually ventilated cages/isolators and aquatic systems
- Previous experience with fish, frogs and rodents, specifically GA and assisting with regulated procedures is highly desirable, handling and sexing offspring will be an advantage
- Computer literacy and experience of databases
- Knowledge of relevant Health & Safety Legislation
Campus workers have access to a range of facilities, including a work placed nursery, gym, two cafes and a restaurant. In addition green travel initiatives are actively encouraged including a cycle to work scheme, car sharing and free campus buses from various locations around Cambridge
When applying please submit a covering letter highlighting your suitability for the role as well as your CV