Scientist Solutions: International Life Science Community By Scientists For Scientists

Thanks to our sponsors who make this site possible

actin in mitochondria

RSS Feed

Would you like to save this topic, event, protocol or job so you can find it again easily?

Just click the "Save to My Lab Drawer" link and the item will be saved in the My Lab Drawer section of your bench space.

Available to members only. Please log in or register for your free account now.

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Topic Started by Miri
on 3/19/2009 15:36 PM   
Reply to this post Go to the top of the page

hi everybody,

i have a question a bit similar to one I've seen here: I do cell fractionation (animal tissue) and then western blot (the protocol is fine). there is a nice and clear band of b-actin and I wanted to use it for normalization (as I do for the cytosolic fraction), however someone told me that actin has "no business" being in the mitochondria....

HELP!

thank you all 

Replies
varsha
United States

See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By varsha
on 3/19/2009 19:58 PM   

A small amount of actin with your mitochondrial fractin may be okay but you cant use it for normalisation.

If you are comparing mitochndria from different samples, you would have to use a resident mitochondrial protein for normalization.

To show purity of the fraction, use a mitochondria specific protein e.g cytochrome C. You may also have to show absence of  a soluble cytosolic protein e.g. GAPDH. Depends upon the question you want answered.

Good luck!

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Miri
on 3/19/2009 17:16 PM   

Thank you,

I'm comparing mito from different samples (cytochrome c in the mitochondrial fraction), can't use any of the complexes for normalization since they differ in my treatments. Do you have any suggestions regarding possible normalisation protein

thanks again

"A small amount of actin with your mitochondrial fractin may be okay but you cant use it for normalisation.

If you are comparing mitochndria from different samples, you would have to use a resident mitochondrial protein for normalization.

To show purity of the fraction, use a mitochondria specific protein e.g cytochrome C. You may also have to show absence of  a soluble cytosolic protein e.g. GAPDH. Depends upon the question you want answered.

Good luck!"

Last edited Mar 19, 2009, 19:21 PM by R Bishop

R Bishop
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Administration & Protein Detection Moderator
Posted By R Bishop
on 3/19/2009 17:28 PM   

Miri,

To clarify, are you comparing cytochrome c in two different samples by western blot to determine if the amount of mitochondria or complexes differs before and after treatment?

If so, Im not sure there is a proper loading control after spinning out the cell debris etc.  Im pretty sure you can just do, "pre-prep" beta-actin control to ensure you started with equal amounts of cells?  Otherwise I cant see what loading control there is, since by definition you're assay is attempting to show a total difference in mitochondria.

I'll do so digging anyway.

Rus

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
-- Einstein

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Miri
on 3/19/2009 17:59 PM   

Hi Rus,

I'm comparing cytochrome c in different mito samples to see whether there is an increase in this protein in my treatment and in a different gels I check cyto c in the cytosolic fraction because there is an apoptotic process involved.  I do load equal amount of protein (Bradford), however i'm used to normalize the cytosolic gels to actin antibody and thought to do the same with the mito. Can't start with cells cause work with tissue.

Miri

[/quote]

heehawmcduff
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By heehawmcduff
on 3/20/2009 9:56 AM   

I've never done this and am just hypothesising but would it be possible to show normalised protein or loading usng a general stain like Ponceau?

R Bishop
United States

Send PM
See Mini bio

Administration & Protein Detection Moderator
Posted By R Bishop
on 3/20/2009 7:35 AM   

Dang, you're so right heehaw thats exactly what you do.  Take an aliquot and silver stain a gel and quantitate the bands.

Rus

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
-- Einstein

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Miri
on 3/20/2009 11:38 AM   

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll try.

Miri

varsha
United States

See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By varsha
on 3/20/2009 17:14 PM   

Hi Miri.

If you could get antibody to a mitochondrial membrane protein, that could be used for normalisation across samples from different tissues. I am thinking of components of mitochondrial translocase complex (TOM and TIM) which would not change much or leak out from the matrix. Any good affinity antibody might work. I would try labs which work on TOM and TIM. One of the names I recall is Ulrich F. Hartl.  Abcam has antibody to certain enzymes e.g aconitase for use as a marker. You could try it if you get them in trial size.

Varsha

Last edited Mar 23, 2009, 10:19 AM by varsha

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Miri
on 3/21/2009 6:41 AM   

Hi Varsha,

I must say that I like your  antibody option better, and will definitely check with Abcam.

Thank you all very much

Miri  

[/quote]

varsha
United States

See Mini bio

Frog Laureate
Posted By varsha
on 3/23/2009 11:20 AM   

Great! Let us know if you find a good antibody that works in such assays.

Varsha

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Miri
on 3/24/2009 2:05 AM   

So here is an update:

I've found few references for using a tubulin antibody as a control protein for mitochondrial fractions. Although I don't understand why tubulin can be used and actin can't (since they both are cytoskeleton proteins), I borrowed a tubulin antibody and it worked. So if somebody encounters a similar problem: tubulin is fine, however I still think that beta actin is O.K. as well (found an article from 1990 that reports beta actin purification from isolated mitochondria that was identical to the cytosolic beta actin.

Miri

: )

Flor
Argentina

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Flor
on 1/4/2013 7:00 AM   

Hi Miri, could you please  send me any of these references you have found?
"I've found few references for using a tubulinantibody as a control protein for mitochondrial fractions"

I used tubulin as loading control in mitochondrial fractions, and it worked, but I couldn ´t find bibliography that support my election.

Thanks!

Flor

Miri
Israel

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Miri
on 1/4/2013 9:15 AM   

Hi Flor, 
It's been a while, so I didn't find that tubulun article I wrote about, if I'll see it I'll let you know. We published with actin normalization, so if you need I could send you few ref that we used, here is one of them.
Good luck

Xilouri M, Papazafiri P. Anti-apoptotic effects of allopregnanolone on P19 neurons. Eur J NeuroSci. 2006;23(1):43–54. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-9568.2005.04548.x.

Flor
Argentina

Send PM
See Mini bio

Frog Egg
Posted By Flor
on 1/7/2013 3:07 AM   

Thanks Miri!
    I found an article about the content of tubulin in mitochondria

Flor

As a Scientist Solutions member, you are able to register a positive vote for any topic which you believe is useful and relevant to our board or any reply which you believe is especially well worded and helpful.

By participating in the voting, you will be helping to identify the best topics & replies on the board.

You may vote once for any one post, and you may not vote for your own posts.

A post (topic or reply) will earn one "thumbs up" icon for every 10 votes received (up to 3 thumbs up), and the person who made the post will also earn two bonus points.

learn more about member points.